Tuesday, June 10, 2014

My First Attempt at a Voicethread Digital Story!

Being the last full week with my kindergarteners, I decided that I needed to take advantage of my time with them and try out some of the amazing classroom technologies available to teachers! This week my students and I created a Voicethread using both the mobile app and the website. Our Voicethread was a digital story featuring our persuasive writing. Here is the lesson plan that I followed: Literacy Project Lesson Plan

I first read my students I Wanna Iguana by Karen Kaufman Orloff to teach them about persuasive writing.
www.amazon.com
Once they understood the purpose of persuasive writing and how to create their own, we gave it a try! Each student wrote a sentence convincing the upcoming preschoolers why they would love kindergarten.
You will love kindergarten because you will learn how to make shapes.

After everyone's work was completed, I took a picture of each piece using my iphone. I then opened up the "create" tab in the Voicethread app, clicked the green "+" sign, and clicked "Add Media from Library".

I selected which photos I wanted to use in my digital story, and clicked "done".

The app then created a story using my pictures. To add voice comments, I called each student out into the hallway (where it was quiet) and clicked the add comment icon when the student was ready to record their voice. I made sure to click "save" after each student was done recording.

After each student recorded their voices, I could have stopped there and showed them the movie, but I wanted to get a little fancier with my work. I decided that I wanted to add in a title page, an author page, and a final closing page, but was not able to edit the order of the pages using the app. I could, however, make these changes using the Voicethread website. That night, I went home and created those three pages using Microsoft Powerpoint, and added them into my story. Using the app, we recorded comments for those pages to finish up the story!

One student has been absent so I have not been able to get her voice into the digital story yet, but I will show you have we have so far!

2 comments:

  1. WOW! Your digital story came out great! I love the story, I Wanna Iguana! I've read it to my students before but never thought about doing a persuasive writing piece with it. Great idea! I will be stealing that idea. I like how you tied it into the end of the year. My digital story is very similar. My students wrote about advice they can give my upcoming second graders for next school year. As I am sure you found, it was very interesting and telling to see there
    responses. I used Imovie to make my digital story but I really like how you used VoiceThread. Imovie was very cumbersome. I think I will be using VoiceThread for my literacy project. Great idea to use Powerpoint to personalize your digital story even more. Thanks for showing each step of your process in making your digital story. It's nice to have a visual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I decided to use VoiceThread as well to show incoming students. I love how you incorporated your students' voices as well. I used pictures of my students, but then narrated everything myself. I may have to take your idea and record my students' voices with each of their pictures. I loved the two students that love kindergarten because "you will love books" and "you will get homework".

    ReplyDelete